Saturday, February 9, 2008

Lent

So why did I give up Facebook and MySpace? Well, I was at a young adult bible study group and we had a speaker join us. Tim started talking about how Jesus has given up so much for us and then started talking about "Lent." He challenged us to give up something for 40 days. I sat in my seat debating if it was something that I even wanted to be apart of. I think that I have been fooling myself in trying that just because it was something that was practiced only by a couple of faiths that I should not take part. But I prayed on the issue and I saw a vision of all of the things that Jesus has given up for me. This was a small task compared to the things he has done for me. I looked at the things that I gave more time to than my faith and I decided on giving up Facebook.

What is Lent?

Lent is a 40-day liturgical season that begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes at the Great Vigil of Easter. Sundays are not included in the 40-day count because every Sunday is a joyful celebration of Jesus' resurrection. Though not biblical, Lent has long been a tradition in the Christian Church, and it is thought that the tradition of the 40 days recalls the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness, fasting and being tempted by Satan (Matthew 4:1-11). Lent is considered a time of penance and discipline.

No comments: